Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Something Evil for 06.06.06, Day of the Beast...

Here's a great way to kill a Windows Server 2003 + SP1 / R2 box...

1. Create a new reg DWORD TcpTimedWaitDelay in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
2. Give it a value of 0
3. Reboot

The box will never come back, and give a very ambiguous STOP 0x7F bugcheck. And since it's so early in the boot process it doesn't write a dump file. I found this after reading about the new 'smart TCP port allocation' functionality of the TCPIP stack in 2003+SP1 (and hence R2). I was investigating a problem that I thought may have been caused by the feature, and thought I could effectively switch it off by setting the above. Not sure if it affects 2003 RTM or 2000 in the same way... try it and let me know :-)

No comments: